Spring Clean Up Checklist
Spring has come and it is time to get out there and get your yard ready for the coming season. A proper spring clean up will set up your lawn and garden for greater success throughout the growing season. There are a number of things you can do to get your lawn and garden ready.
Opening your garden beds:
- Clean out all winter debris: driveway rocks pushed over with the snow, leaves that came down in the fall, etc
- Cut back the dead plant material left by your perennials
- Prune back the shrubs that need it
- Turn over and add new soil
- Clean up the edge of your garden with a freshly sharpened spade
- Add a fresh layer of natural mulch
Doing these few things will provide you a great deal more success with your garden in the months to come.
- Aerate your lawn for better air, water and nutrient penetration and to break up heavily compacted ground. Aeration also helps to increase the lawns ability to retain water, reducing run off and erosion
- Fan rake the lawn to help the grass stand back up and to clean up excess thatch
- Topdress your lawn with new topsoil for greener more dense grass. Top-dressing also allows you to smooth out bumps or low spots in your lawn
- Overseed your lawn to thicken your grass, to fill bare spots and to choke out weeds
- Fertilize your lawn to green it up, stimulate new growth and to keep it healthy
A beautiful thick green lawn starts in the spring with the proper spring care and maintenance.